Sunday, March 21, 2010

The 2010 Second Decennial Tundra Bob, Three Forks, Peace Sign, Stealth MP, Sunburn Ultra Marathon Run for the Cure

Well, I did the big one. Ran the Tundra Bob’s Ultra Sunburn Marathon For The Cure on Saturday. I am still recovering.

It was a great day – one of those relatively sunny and warm days. Temps were 32 degrees when I started and got up to 51 degrees during the run. I have a good sun burn on my face too. The ice on the trail turned to puddles, which got my shoes wet – necessitating sock changes etc. Started off on the four mile loop then got a wild hair and went out on some snowy roads/trails, which turned out to be VERY HILLY (which was a mistake to run hills that early but the Indiana Jones in me said to keep on going). I knew that snowmobiles and ATVs needed a permit to be in this area but I was not sure about runners.

So, hoping that my O-6 get out of jail free card (hey man – it has worked before, multiple times), and pleading ignorance, would keep the MPs from haulin me to jail.  I was about four miles into the wilderness and decided it was best to turn back.  I got to the top of the hill and could see the trail following a powerline as far as I could see.  Curiosity satisfied, I turned around and headed back to civilization.  I began to realize that all the hills (steep ones) that I had been running were taking a toll on my legs.  Not good for so early in my run.  With one more hill to go before returning to civilization I saw a slowly moving truck heading toward me.  It was the MPs.  I was just beginning to slow down as I waved to the MP and he waved back and just kept going.  I have been busted before running in the woods by the MPs and the STB and was able to talk my way through it (training for a marathon seems to be an acceptable excuse.  Even when they are training RCPs for IEDs (long story).  I was wondering if they have my photo on their wall with a note saying they are tired of my stories and to just let me pass.  I digress.  Back to the run.  After passing the MP I headed up the last (steepest) hill and got back into civilization and flat ground.  I was planning on doing four 4.2 mile loops around the airstrip to start off the run but my Wilderness Family diversion took care of those miles.  I was out of the snow and back onto the paved trail. 

Unfortunately the sun melted the ice and the trail was now puddles of water and mud with slick ice on the sides (where you are tempted to go to avoid the water and mud – a loose/loose situation).  The loop led me back to the truck where I shed a layer, refilled my CamelBak, ate a granola bar/gummy bears, and took off.  I wanted to make sure I had some food so I avoided the extreme hunger I had on the 23 mile run in Eugene.  I headed out to the paved trail that parallels the Glenn Highway – hoping for a drier trail.  It was drier but noisy and boring.

I plugged along for 23 miles then my claves started cramping – getting worse and worse.  This slowed me down A LOT.  I stopped in the middle of the trail and laid down to stretch them out.  I ended up walking the last four miles.  Unfortunately I planned on running 27 and that was the distance to return to my truck.  When I went back into the gate at the Post I had about a mile to go.  I was so tempted to ask someone for a ride - - - or call an ambulance.  However, I hobbled back to the truck and made it home alive.  The run was an eye-opener for me.  It was the fifth time I have ran over 26 miles and defiantly the most difficult.  I think running the steep hills (up and down x 6) was a mistake early in the run.  With the pain in my legs the last three miles it really made me wonder if I could do this in a real run (sorry Tundra Bob).  I am pretty sore today.  Not sure what my plans are for April 17 right now.
Brad
p.s. click on photos to see bigger versions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.