Did the 14 mile run today. I had a water with ice to drink in one container and big frozen Gatorade in another. The ice and frozen Gatorade did cool me down from the hot 70 degree running environment. I will have to do that from now on. I also brought a second shirt and changed into it about half way through which helped a lot. I will have to do that again too. It was pretty much what you would expect for running 14 miles. Fist two miles were normal. I was completely zoned out from miles two to six. I think I ran straight through all that without slowing. I was in some deep concentration mode and when I snapped back to reality, at about mile six, I had no idea what had happened except about 50 minutes and four miles went by. Deja walked by and said "hi" which is what I think snapped me out of it. Then I was back in REALITY - running - - - on a treadmill.
Things were fine until mile nine when my legs started getting pretty tired. I took a two minute walking break which seemed to help. I was really pushing things by mile 11 and I got off the treadmill and started running around the track which felt like I was in a refrigerator - much cooler. Mile 12, I got back on the treadmill and was in the pain and punishment mode. Michelle was about a mile ahead of me and the last two miles she kept asking me how much longer I had. It went something like this: Michelle, "How far have you gone?" In Brad's head "I have no idea, I am too tired to look." Brad's body movement = rotate my arm to show Michelle my wrist which had my mileage displayed in 1/16" fine print numbers on a bouncing arm. Michelle squinting, "how much longer till you are done?" Brad, burning his last molecules of ATP, "I don't know." Michelle, "How many more minutes? Fifteen?" In Brad's mind, "That requires a calculation that is way beyond my current capabilities." Brad's mouth, spits out some random number between one and 30. The next thing I knew I slogged through the last mile of the 14 miler and finished. Now we are done we are both pretty sore. I am not looking forward to any more long runs right now... Next long run I am bringing a calculator.
The Tale of the Terrible Trot
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.