Thursday, November 12, 2009

Runing the tangents


I have had a lot of people ask me what "run the tangents" means.  It is not some crazy way of running...  There was a discussion about it on The Dead Runners Society about 15 years ago - I have run that way ever since.  I remember watching the marathon at the LA Olympics in 1984 and there was a line painted on the road that was painted to show where the distance was measured from (tangent through he curves) - any deviation from the line and you were running longer than the marathon distance.  From my understanding they measure the race distance by measuring the tangent on the road - it is not an obey the traffic lines or track lanes thing.  I just goggled it to see if it would turn it up anywhere and found a good explanation - Click here.  It is easy for us to do on trails or roads with little or no traffic.  I do it all the time in races.

I have put in a lot of miles (a "relative" term) this week that has included some speed work.  We will see how the MM goes this weekend.  - Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.