Monday, November 2, 2009

Update from Karla

I've been busy and haven't been reading the updates for over a week. I quickly scanned the posts and it sounds like everyone is being very diligent and consistent with their workouts. I've had some set backs... my usual knee and hip pain was getting worse despite my constant stretching, icing and even doing the walk/run workouts. I've been to several doctors and finally feel like maybe I'll get some help. It is confirmed that I have IT band syndrome after xrays and an MRI. It appears to be due to a limb length discrepancy. At this point I'm hopeful that it is a functional limb length issue and not a "true" length discrepancy. I'm working with an orthopedic doctor and a chiropractor that both specialize in running injuries. I'm giving my body some time to heal so I haven't run in almost two weeks. I'm lifting weights and doing lots of other cardio workouts (bike, elliptical and even deep water running) so I'm hopeful I won't be starting from the beginning when I start to run again. I see the chiropractor again on Wednesday so hopefully I'll get the okay to start slowly running again. My former "acute" IT band was well on it's way to becoming a chronic problem so I urge everyone to pay attention to frequent sore areas and get the necessary help to treat the problem. My experience is that it pays to go to someone in the medical field that is either into running and/or experienced with running injuries because they seem to be more helpful in offering solutions and doing the necessary follow up when the problem doesn't go away. Thanks for all the updates, it does help to hear how everyone is doing which is motivational to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.