Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First run - 33 minutes!!!



I finished my first run earlier today. And when I say "first run," I mean it. It is the first time I have run since I did the 5k, April, in SLC. I have biked some this summer but no running - and I felt it. I ended up running 33 minutes. Did the loop to the fire station then up ER road to Chain of Rock then back down.

It was interesting because I really struggled up the hill at the bottom of ER Road. I remember running that when I first started training for a marathon in 1999 and thinking it was impossible - then almost two months later I breezed up the hill wondering why it was a problem earlier. That is the amazing thing about running - I think you can do about anything, it just takes a little time and soreness (a.k.a training) before your body gets used to it. It was pretty hot today - ~70dF in the sun (and it was a vitamin D day).

Well I am sore right now - no doubt about that, but I am still going to press on. Top right is a photo of me before the run. Top left is 33 minutes later. I felt a lot worse than I look - a slight smile on my before run photo.

I did the old "Gallowalking" method - run ten minutes then walk one. Michelle tells me it has changed now. She ordered his new training program. We were talking earlier and wondering how we were going to do the long runs during the winter - I don't know. I have done 13 miles on the treadmill before - max. It was not too bad, but I dread doing longer than that.

If there are others in the family who are interested in training and running the SLC marathon tell them about the blog. I think I will limit access after a week.

I am hoping others can post their running reports on this blog. Give it a try - I know reading what others are doing will help to motivate.

- Tundra Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.