On Saturday I did my first long run--about 7 miles. It took me about 55 minutes, which I think was a little more than 8 min/mile. My goal is to keep as many of my runs as I can between 7:00 and 8:30 min/mile, at least until I start getting to some of the REALLY long ones, then we'll see how those go. But the run itself felt pretty good, it was easier than I thought it would be. Around mile 4.5 I started getting pretty tuckered out, but then about a mile later I caught a good second wind and finished pretty strong (I usually try to finish each run with a 50-100 meter sprint).
Monday I did a mile-run time trial and ended up with about a 6:15 mile. I then went pretty easy for another 3 miles. My goal is to continue these mile-run time trials each Monday until I can get back to a sub-6-minute mile.
6 miles is my new weekday running goal (other than Mondays), and this morning was my first time to try it. It went well, I ran it in about 47 minutes which I am happy with, and I didn't feel too tired or anything. The first half of it is pretty steep uphill, and the other half is slightly more gradual downhill--I think I'll run the same course for the remainder of the week. My knees did feel slightly sore this morning after the run, but it didn't feel too bad. Here is a map of my 6 miler:

I have stopped doing the 200-meter intervals. I just hate them. I might stop alternating some long distance intervals (fartleks?) each Saturday with my long runs--running a mile at about 90%, then walking/jogging 400 meters or so--we will see.
I have a question. What is the best (and least expensive) way to stay hydrated during long runs outside? I am getting to some of the longer runs now where I will definitely need some hydration along the way (so far I have been ok drinking a little before and a lot after). Are camelbacks basically the only way to go?
Nice job on the running. You should check what your Boston qualifying time is and go for that as a goal.
ReplyDeleteOne thing about the long runs - you are not supposed to do them too fast. The idea behind them is to get mileage under your belt so your body gets used to the distances. You develop speed by doing the other shorter (faster) runs and hills.
I think the camelback is the best bet for the longer runs. You don't have to fill it - keep it low for the shorter runs and you can even stop to refill at a water fountain during the run. I have a small running fanny pack that can hold two water bottles that I use for the 3-10 mile runs and the camelback for the longer ones.
Yeah I've actually checked my Boston qualifying time, it is 3:10:00...which is pretty dang fast (less than 7.5 minute miles the whole way). So I think I actually am going to have that as my "goal," but we will see how things go...
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of camelback would you suggest? We have a 100$ gift card to rei so we were thinking about going there to look at some...I looked online and I think the ANNADEL(50 oz) might be a good one for Rachel, and I was looking at either the ROGUE (70 oz) or the FAIRFAX (50 oz) for me...I know I sweat quite a bit so I was leaning towards the rogue, what kind do you have?
I did read that the long runs are for endurance and not speed, I guess I am just worried that when it comes time to run the marathon if I haven't run long runs at a faster speed before hand then I won't be able to run the marathon at a faster speed...will doing the shorter runs and hills/intervals/fartleks/whatever still increase my overall speed when I run a whole marathon, even if I haven't run it up to speed before then?