Saturday, October 3, 2009

8 mile run!


Ran my 8-miler today before Conference--8.1 miles, technically. Pretty early on, around mile 2, my right knee started hurting--which has never happened DURING a run, just after sometimes. So that wasn't so good. I tried to run on asphalt and grass as much as I could after that, I think the concrete may be to blame for the hurting (I usually try and stay away from it on all my runs, but on the 6-mile course I've been running a lot of it is concrete). It calmed down after a few hundred meters or so, slightly flared up again around mile 5, and then went down again. It seems to be doing ok now, I can feel it hurt a little bit when I move it around a lot or go down stairs/hills. Tomorrow will be a much needed day off.

As far as the actual running goes, I was pretty steady the whole time. I ran it all in about 68 minutes, or 8.4 minute miles. I didn't feel like I hit a wall or anything, but it definitely wasn't as breezy as my 6-milers have been the last few days. I also used my new camelbak for the first time (I went with the 70 oz. version--Rogue), and I'm sure the hydration was helpful. It's a good pack, I'm glad I got it! I filled it about halfway with water this time, I think I'll try an energy drink next time and see how that makes a difference during the run.

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend...!

2 comments:

  1. I would probably slow down your long runs a little bit and probably do some Gallowalking if you are not already. Switching to the different muscle groups every few minutes will help. I remember reading somewhere that hills are a culprit to knee pain at the top of the knee cap. I cant remember if you need to take it easy going up or down the hills though. However - I would suggest two things, take it easy for a few of the longer runs including some Gallowalking and slow your pace down by ~ 20% for a couple weeks to prevent injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R U using an I Phone thing to map your run?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.