Monday, October 12, 2009

Firehouse Loop in the HEAT

I did the firehouse loop for my Monday run and it was so much nicer than my previous runs on that hill.  It was pretty hot today - the thermometer in my truck said 70 degrees but that was probably in the sun.  I waited until the sun was going down to do the run so it would not be as hot.  No pain whatsoever in my back and no shin tightness at all.  My pace was over one minute per mile faster than my previous runs on that course.  In fact I had to slow down before I got home because I was going to finish faster than 30 minutes.  I am amazed at how much all that pain slowed me down.  I still have RUL pneumonia and I could feel that - I could never take a deep breath mostly shallow ones.  So anyway it was a great run.  It is supposed to be sunny and warm all week which will be nice.  I am still not sure how to do those MM Mile things, I guess that is what we have to do on Satruday - anyone figured it out yet?

3 comments:

  1. Since I'm still trying to recover from my injury, I'm not sure if it's a good idea for me to try and run a mile at a fairly fast pace. That's the problem with not knowing what to do or not do... Anyway, I briefly read through the MM thing but not enough to feel I understand it. Do you have any of Jeff's books or are you just following the online stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still not sure - I did search YouTube and found a couple of videos on it. It looks like they are running a warmup for about a mile then run a mile at a quick pace (not their maximum pace). They even said start out slow if you need to and then pick up the pace 1/4 or 1/2 way through and finish the last half mile fastest. Then do a cool down. What I am not sure is how does the 2.5 miles work in. Does that mean 1 mile warmup - 1 mile fast pace, then .5 mile cool down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I have gathered, yes. One mile warm up, one mile fast (which I thought was as fast as you could...maybe not), and then however much you have for that day's milage cool down, so this saturday would be half a mile, next week 4, etc. The point of them is only so you can gage what your speed will be during the marathon, so if you don't care about that i don't think you really need to do them. I'm not going to...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.